We are currently in the process of hiring for the fall 2020 quarter. You must be a Seattle Central student taking 10 or more credits and maintain a 2.5 GPA to apply for the Collegian. The campus, and our operations here at the Collegian are operating remotely currently. We know this will be the case through the Spring Quarter, but please keep in mind that the situation is ever changing and who knows how much in-person time we will have in the Fall Quarter. If working remotely is difficult for you, take that into consideration for these positions. Please follow the links for application information.
The editor-in-chief will work 10 or more hours per week. Their duties include:
- Assisting the advisor with hiring and training new staff members;
- Assisting the advisor in adhering to the yearly budget;
- Attending all weekly staff meetings and sometimes leading the meetings;
- Maintaining adherence to the SPJ (Society of Professional Journalists) Code of Ethics for the organization as a whole;
- Attending weekly meetings with the webmaster;
- Serving as a member of the communications board;
- Serving as a non-voting member of the publications board;
- Acting as the external voice for the Seattle Collegian;
- Managing letters to the editor; managing payment of contributors;
- Bringing a unique and innovative editorial “vision” to the paper.
The managing editor will work 10 or more hours per week. Their duties include:
- managing the story log in an Excel Spreadsheet document;
- communicating and enforcing publication deadlines;
- sometimes assisting the advisor with interviewing and hiring new staff members;
- coordinating with the editor-in-chief to make sure that all editors and staff members are fulfilling their duties;
- editing content for the website and print publication of the paper;
- running weekly staff meetings;
- sending out weekly email updates to board and staff members;
- managing publication calendar for print edition; coordinating print dates with the publisher;
- coordinating with page designers to create the layout of the print edition.
The web manager will work 5 or more hours per week. Their duties include:
- maintaining and developing The Seattle Collegian website;
- assigning access/privileges/emails to members of the editorial board;
- working in coordination with the editor-in-chief, managing editor, and faculty advisor;
- attending weekly meetings with the Editor-in-chief, managing editor, and faculty advisor;
- providing weekly analytic reports from the website to the editorial board.
The graphic designer will work 5 or more hours per week. Their duties include:
- attending weekly staff meetings to coordinate with editors and staff writers;
- providing the editorial board and staff writers with expert advice on laying out and designing pages for print and the web;
- coordinating with managing editor to prepare print editions of the student paper for publication.
The social media manager will work 5 or more hours per week. Their duties include:
- attending weekly staff meetings to coordinate social media marketing campaigns with editors and staff writers;
- providing the editorial board and staff writers with expert advice on marketing online content of The Seattle Collegian via social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Linkedin.
The editorial board members will work 5 or more hours per week. Their duties include:
- producing, editing, and soliciting content for Seattle Central’s online & print news journals.
- We are seeking three editors to cover beats such as Crime, Arts & Culture, (School) Policy, and National & International Affairs
Be First to Comment